Looking for some healthy meal ideas that all of the family can enjoy? Why not try our fish and chip recipe with a healthy twist – including courgette chips and an avocado alternative to mushy peas. Our take on this classic means that your plate is full of nutrients and makes the perfect midweek meal.
4 slices LivLife bread
50 g parmesan, finely grated
2 large eggs, beaten
oil for deep-frying
2 x 120 g portions cod or haddock fillet
2 medium courgettes, cut into batons
3 tbsp tartare sauce
For the avocado ‘mushy peas’:
1 large avocado, peeled and stoned
½ lemon, juiced
1 tsp mint leaves, chopped
- Break the bread into bite-sized pieces, spread out on a wire rack and leave to dry out overnight.
- Put the bread in a food processor and pulse to turn it into breadcrumbs. Mix with the parmesan in a wide bowl and set aside. Beat the eggs in a second bowl with a big pinch of salt.
- To make the avocado ‘mushy peas’, mash the avocado with the lemon juice and mint and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, wok or deep-fat fryer to 180°C.
- Dry the courgette batons thoroughly with kitchen paper, then dip them in the beaten egg. Let any excess drip back into the bowl, then roll in breadcrumbs to coat, pressing them on with your hands.
- Fry the courgette batons in batches for 3 minutes or until bronzed and crisp. Transfer to a kitchen paper lined sieve to drain.
- Egg and breadcrumb the fish in the same way and fry for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Blot any excess oil with kitchen paper, then serve immediately with the courgette chips, mashed avocado and some tartare sauce on the side.