Want to try your hand at some baking? This low carb chocolate hazelnut bread crumbs muffins recipe is a great place to start! Sweet, tasty, light and lower carbs!
4 slices LivLife bread
4 large eggs, separated
115 g unsalted butter, softened
115 g xylitol
1 orange; zest finely grated
100 g ground hazelnuts
150 g dark chocolate (85% cocoa solids), melted
For the frosting:
200 g mascarpone
65 g xylitol
1 tsp vanilla extract
300 ml [double] cream
1 tbsp dark chocolate, melted or shaved with a vegetable peeler
1 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
1 orange, zest finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Toast the bread and leave to cool, then blitz to crumbs in a food processor.
- Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.
- Cream together the butter, xylitol and orange zest, then whisk in the egg yolks, ground hazelnuts and breadcrumbs until smooth. Fold in the melted chocolate, then fold in the egg whites in two batches.
- Divide the cake mixture between the cake cases and bake for 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, whisk the mascarpone with the xylitol, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt until smooth. Gradually incorporate the cream and continue to whisk until it thickens enough to hold its shape.
- Spread or pipe the frosting onto the cakes and top with chocolate and a sprinkle of chopped hazelnuts and orange zest.
- If you don’t want to serve all of the muffins the same day, store the unfrosted cakes in an air-tight tin at room temperature and keep the frosting in the fridge. Both should keep for at least four days.
|Nutritional info PER PORTION (without crudites)|