Our chimichurri marinated mushroom sandwich recipe makes a great naturally vegan alternative to a steak sandwich when you want something to get your teeth into!
2 tsp dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
100 ml olive oil, plus a bit extra if needed
4 portobello mushrooms, stalks removed
10 g fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
10 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
8 slices LivLife bread
- Stir together the oregano, garlic, shallot, chilli, vinegar and olive oil to make a marinade. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the back of each mushroom with some of the marinade, then turn them gill side up and spread a tablespoon of marinade over the top of each one. Leave to marinade for an hour or two, or refrigerate overnight for a deeper flavour.
- Stir the parsley and coriander into the rest of the marinade to make a chimichurri sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (200° fan) | 425F | gas 7.
- Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Drizzle a little extra oil over the mushrooms, then griddle gill-side-up for 5 minutes.
- Turn the mushrooms over and transfer the whole pan to the oven. Bake for 8 minutes, then return the griddle pan to the hob, turn the mushrooms again and cook until all the liquid has evaporated (about 4-5 minutes).
- Top four of the bread slices with the mushrooms, then spoon over the chimichurri sauce before sandwiching with the rest of the bread.
|Nutritional info per sandwich (1 mushroom)|