When winter is setting in and you need warming up at lunch time, give our wholesome cauliflower and almond soup a try. Topped with delicious cumin croutons made with LivLife bread to add that extra crunch.
1 medium cauliflower (about 600 g), broken into small florets
3 garlic cloves, sliced
200 g flaked almonds
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to garnish
3 slices LivLife bread, crusts removed and cubed
1 tsp cumin seeds, coarsely ground
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Boil the cauliflower and garlic in lightly salted water for 8 minutes or until tender to the point of a knife.
- Meanwhile, toast half of the almonds in a large frying pan, being careful not to let them take on too much colour. Set aside 2 tbsp for the garnish, then put the rest in a liquidiser with the untoasted almonds. Blend until finely ground.
- When the cauliflower is ready, drain it through a sieve, reserving the cooking water. With the motor running on the liquidiser, slowly incorporate 500 ml of the cooking water and blend until smooth.
- Add the drained cauliflower and blend again, then adjust the consistency with more of the cooking water (about an extra 500 ml). Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- To make the croutons, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the bread cubes and fry until golden. Turn the cubes over, sprinkle with cumin and salt and fry until the underneath or golden and crisp. Transfer to a sheet of kitchen paper and leave to cool.
- When you’re ready to serve, reheat the soup until just starting to simmer. Ladle into bowls, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with croutons, pomegranate seeds, chives and the reserved toasted almonds.
|Nutrition PER PORTION|